When cozying up on the couch in the nipping winters, Hot Chocolate is staple! Relish this divine beverage while it defrosts’ your body.
- Ice Cream or Marshmallows or Sweetened Whipped Cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- A pinch of salt
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup hot water
- Take a skillet. On a medium heat, combine cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and slowly stir in water. Keep stirring till a boil comes. After boil, stir for 2 more minutes. Add milk to the mixture while stirring the mixture constantly. Heat to the serving temperature as per your need. Do not boil.
- Take off from heat. Add vanilla essence. Stir.
- Grab a whisker, a rotary beater, or a blender and whisk till frothy.
Note: you can skip this step if you do not a foamy drink.
- Top it up with marshmallows or whipped cream or ice cream, if desired. Serve.
Other Hot Chocolate Variations:
You can also try adding one of the following along with the vanilla essence:
- SPICED HOT COCOA: 1/8 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
- MINT HOT COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon of mint essence or 3 tablespoons of crushed hard peppermint flavored candy.
- CITRUS HOT COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon of orange essence or 3 tablespoons of orange liqueur.
- SWISS MOCHA: 2 to 3 tablespoons of ground instant coffee.
- HOT CHOCOLATE LATTE: Blink at marshmallows or whipped cream. Instead top up your hot chocolate with 2 scoops of softened vanilla ice cream at serving time.
- DIET HOT COCOA: Blink at sugar. Instead combine cocoa, water, salt, and non-fat milk. Proceed with the same directions. Add vanilla essence. Stir in sugar substitute with sweetening equivalent to half-cup of real sugar.
- CANADIAN HOT CHOCOLATE: 1/2 teaspoon of Maple Essence / Extract.