For a healthier and heartier take on the french banana toast with nuts, spread a mixture of bananas, honey, walnuts, almonds and flax seeds between the golden toasted bread slices before battering and frying. Line up your french toast sandwiches on a platter, and top with either maple syrup or the remaining warm banana mixture before serving.
- Brown bread slices (4)
- Egg (1)
- Heavy Cream (½ cup)
- Bananas (2)
- Rock Salt (to taste)
- Honey ( 2 tsp)
- Cinnamon (1 tsp)
- Almonds (chopped and roasted –2 tsp)
- Flax seeds (chopped and roasted – 1 tsp)
- Walnuts (chopped and roasted – 2 tsp)
- Clarified Butter ( 2 tsp)
How to Prepare:
1. Heat a griddle and toast the bread slices nicely using a little clarified butter. Meanwhile, dry roast the walnuts, flax seeds and almonds until lightly brown and aromatic.
2. In a plate or a bowl, mash the banana slightly. (Note: we do not want banana PUREE but a slightly mashed banana. You should stop when the banana is short of being puree.)
3. In a bowl, combine together honey and mashed banana together with roasted walnuts, flax seeds, and almonds.
4. In another bowl, whisk together egg, cream, nutmeg, rock salt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
5. Lay out 2 bread slices on work surface and top with the banana mixture.
6. Top again with the remaining bread slices, forming it into a sandwich. Press gently to seal the sandwiches.
7. Line up the sandwiches on a platter. Pour the egg mixture over the sandwich and let it soak for 10 minutes. Gently flip the sandwiches and pour over it, again, the egg mixture and let the bread soak through for 10 minutes more.
8. Meanwhile, heat the remaining banana mixture in a pan over medium-low heat until the bananas turn soft and slightly translucent.
9. Pour a teaspoon of clarified butter on the heated griddle. Toast the marinated sandwiches nicely from both the sides.
MORE: DIY Almond Milk Recipe
10. Top up your french banana toast with maple syrup, honey, or with the warm banana mixture.
And, your nutritious french banana toast is ready. Relish!
You can try on other variations too. For instance, you can add lettuce leaves, chopped carrots or the bell pepper for added flavor.
PS – Toasting the bread in a toaster is not suggested for it makes the slices very hard. This is why we prefer toasting the bread on a griddle so that the clarified butter makes it crisp and just slightly brown.
Bananas are rich in potassium, magnesium, vitamin B6 and Vitamin C.